Each year the South Dakota Parks and Recreation Association (SDPRA) recognizes organizations and individuals for their work and dedication to communities through parks and recreation. Awards are selected by past and present SDPRA board members, composed of parks and recreation professionals.
To nominate an individual or group for an award, please complete the necessary award application. Nominations are accepted at any time. Awards are presented at the annual meeting each fall.
- Hall of Fame
- Professional Service
- Young Professional
- Individual Citation
- Organization Citation
- Community Excellence
- Years of Service
- Distinguished Citizen Award
Jean Pearson, SDPRA Awards Chair
South Dakota Parks and Recreation Association (SDPRA)
Student Scholarship Program
The purpose of the SDPRA student scholarship program is to promote and support excellence in the field of parks and recreation by providing financial assistance for both undergraduate and graduate students who are attending a South Dakota college or university and majoring in parks and recreation or a related degree.
The SDPRA encourages the scholarship winners to remain in South Dakota after graduation to help build the South Dakota work force and the SDPRA organization, which funds this scholarship.
The Scholarship Award
- South Dakota Parks and Recreation Association awards two (2) students with a two-thousand dollar ($2,000) scholarship each year.
- Each scholarship winner is also awarded a complimentary state conference registration and renewed membership in SDPRA for one year.
- Scholarships are awarded at the SDPRA’s Annual State Conference.
- Award recipients must attend the state conference to receive the award.
Applicants for these awards must:
- Be a full-time student (Junior or Senior) during the Fall Semester. (12 credit hours or more)
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 overall and 2.8 major.
- Be a major in recreation, parks, and/or nature resource management or related field at a South Dakota college or university.
- Have a minimum of 500 hours internship and/or part-time employment in a parks and recreation related field in South Dakota.
Application Deadline: September 10th 2021, 11:59 PM (CT)
Students must submit:
- the Scholarship Application Form,
- a ONE-page essay about the applicant,
- two professional and one academic references with one professional reference coming from South Dakota, and
- a copy of their resume.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Dr. Hung-Ling (Stella) Liu, Scholarship and Special Projects Committee
Department of Health and Nutritional Sciences, South Dakota State University
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 605-688-6163