The South Dakota Park and Recreation Association was established to promote the growth, status and unity of all phases of parks, recreation, and leisure services in the state of South Dakota.
- Communication – To develop and maintain the exchange and discussion of ideas, methods, and techniques in the parks and recreation field.
- Information – To collect and disseminate information on various aspects of the profession.
- Education – To advise, encourage, coordinate, and develop programs of education for enlightenment of member and general citizens.
- Research – To promote and encourage studies in the field of parks and recreation.
- Legislation – To interest and involve the membership and the public in the study and development of legislation which affect parks and recreation.
- Standards – To promote and encourage high standard in all aspects of the profession.
- Liaison – To establish and maintain liaison with related organizations.
- Awareness – To promote the professional interests of the Association.