The South Dakota Parks and Recreation Association’s executive board met recently to welcome newly elected board members, thank previous members for their service and set goals for 2018. View meeting minutes and review the goals for 2018 on the Member Resources page. The members-only password was sent out via the Quick Hits email newsletter on Dec. 11. If you’re a current member and didn’t get it, let us know.
Applications are now being accepted for grants from the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF).
Public outdoor recreation projects sponsored by city, county, township and tribal governments are eligible to receive the grant money. The Land and Water Conservation Fund provides up to 50 percent reimbursement for approved outdoor recreation projects.
South Dakota State Parks Director Katie Ceroll said $425,000 will be available for the development or renovation of public outdoor recreation facilities or the acquisition of park land. Learn more and download an application packet at gfp.sd.gov. The application deadline is Dec. 8, 2017.
The association recently recognized several individuals and organizations for their work and dedication to further parks and recreation in the state. Congratulations to the 2017 SDPRA award winners!
- Longevity Awards: Dale Simpson, Lake Louise Recreation Area; Gene Morsching, Aberdeen Parks, Recreation and Forestry; and Mike Ullrich, Richmond Lake Recreation Area
- Organization Commitment Citation: Aberdeen Convention & Visitors Bureau Sports & Recreation Committee
- Young Professional Award: Katy Hiltunen, Game, Fish and Parks, Pierre
- Meritorious Professional Service: Travis Lemer, Aberdeen Parks, Recreation and Forestry
- Hall of Fame Award: Susie Garry-Weber, Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation
Thanks to all who attended this year’s annual conference in Aberdeen, and to the conference staff for making it a success. View photos of the event on Facebook. A list of award winners and elected officers will follow soon.
Before the state conference in September, make sure you’ve done the following:
- Register! It’s just $200 for the full package.
- Review proposed changes to the SDPRA constitution. We’ll vote on the changes at the business meeting during the conference.
- Nominate an outstanding individual or group for an annual SDPRA award.
- Run for a committee chair or board member position. To express your interest, email President Lori Skadsen at email@example.com. Openings include: Activities; Aquatics; Community Recreation Centers; Constitution/Legislation; Member at Large; NRPA representative; Parks, Forestry, and Open Spaces; President Elect; Secretary/Treasurer.